Thursday, February 19, 2015

I've Been Reading Some Great Essays Recently


I've been reading some wonderful essays recently.  Just finished the book pictured above, "The Best American Essays 2011," which not only contained some wonderful work, but also contained what I think is probably the best essay I have ever read.

It's called "What Broke My Father's Heart" and was written by Katy Butler.  I had never heard of her before, but a quick check on Amazon.com shows that she has written a number of books.  I have stacks of books at home that I'm meaning to get through, including a number of volumes in this "Best American . . ." series, but I think I will read some of Butler's other work before I get much farther along in what I already have stacked up.

"What Broke My Father's Heart" is about the decline of his father's health, the various procedures he went through to lengthen his life, the feelings of himself, his wife and his daughter, and the ultimate death of both himself and his wife.  I've never read anything as poignant as this essay.

It did not surprise me when I discovered in the blurb about Butler in the back of the book that the article was named one of the 100 best articles of all time.  Here's the URL of that web page, which I am sure lists many more memorable essays.   Knowing what I now know about the quality of this essay, I am anxious to read more of this author's work.

No comments: